Thursday, January 12, 2012

Sharing the Good News


One of the positive aspects to our 8 month wait, was the ability to tell both our families the good news IN PERSON! We had already planned a trip to VA/PA/AZ over Thanksgiving which was driven by Nana Stramara’s declining condition and our desire to visit with her and share the holiday with family.

Waiting to tell everyone was SO difficult, mostly because we were so excited to tell them but also having to evade the topic long enough to not spill the beans, hope there was no facebook leak and suffer through my terrible patients issues…plus I had to refuse wine and blame my tiredness on travel long enough for Kyle to help tell the “secret”.

To tell our families we are expecting, we gave each of them the picture of our feet with baby shoes in between and wrote the expected due date and their new title (Grandparents, Aunt Nicolettle & Uncle Kevin, Aunt Jess & Uncle Ryan and Aunt Holly) on the frame.



Once we were both at Kyle’s parent’s house, we gave them their “early Thanksgiving” presents to open. Kevin and Kevin Jr. got Ace’s shirts and hats and Karen and Nicolette got the wrapped frames. It was so fun to see their reactions in person and get a hug of congratulations J

The next day we drove to Schuylkill Haven, PA to visit family and our first stop was Paxson Ave to see Nana and Pap Stramara. Although Nana’s condition was at its last stages, she was fully alert and when we told her she’d be a great grandmother we saw her face light up. Those moments spent with her were immeasurable as she lost her battle to cancer three weeks later.

Kyle announced our news at dinner that night to Nana Ketner, Aunt Debbie and Uncle Shine, and everyone was so happy. When discussing the what-to-call-the-grandparents topic, Nana Ketner said to Karen “You can’t be Nana because I’M Nana.” She’s such a hoot!

The next week Kyle flew back to Germany for work while I flew to AZ to extend my vacation from vacation. It was important for us to be able to tell our parents together, so I waited a day and a half until the timing was right for Kyle to Skype us. When both my parents were home from work and it was midnight in Deutschland, Kyle called to ‘chat’. He was showing off Love’s new sweater he made to say “Big Sister” on the back. When the reality finally set in and they realized what that meant, they were overwhelmed with excitement and questions. My dad immediately picked up the phone to call Kevin and tease him for being an old man and call him Grandpa.

Two days later Jessica was visiting from Chicago and we went to dinner at Holly’s restaurant in Phoenix since she had to work. Before we ordered, I gave Holly and Jess their gifts to open and the first thing Holl said was “I knew it” while Jessica screamed and cried at the same time. We immediately called Ryan to share the news I ate the best Chilaquiles of my life.

I was able to tell Aunt Vicki (my fairy godmother), cousin Ricky and Julia in person that weekend in San Diego and love on little Leielle (and watch her ultrasound videos to prepare myself with that to look forward to!).

When I called Grandma VZ to tell her great grandchild #21 was due July 4th, she said it’d be an Independent baby, just like its mother…she too is a hoot! We were able to Skype Grandpa Bill and Louise and let them know their first great grandchild was on the way. Kyle and I had coffee with them, Nic and Jennifer during our time in VA and Louise mentioned while we were Skyping she thought my empire shirt had been a little suspicious!

Telling Chris and Trevor in person was too fun. I was nervous to tell Chris while he was driving because I didn’t want to get into an accident (totally legitimate concern) and not when we were in the restaurant because I knew it’d be a loud reaction (naturally) so I waited until we were walking to dinner. Of course when I told him, he stopped everything he was doing and screamed J We told Trev while eating our anniversary cake and causally talking about placentas…too perfect!

Again, the opportunity to tell so many of our loved ones IN PERSON was worth the wait, there is nothing like being able to share that kind of joy and excitement with those closest to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment