Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Baby Story - Day 2

June 6

08:00
After an exciting night of calling our family to tell them my water broke and we were in the hospital, we woke up ready for a D-Day baby! If he wasn’t going to be born on his due date of July 4th, D-Day was a good alternative and we could later laugh about Coen invading Germany…(spoiler alert: he didn’t. Another 32 hours passed before he was born.)

We slowly waddled our way to the delivery ward for my first attempt of inducing contractions. Early in the pregnancy I decided I wanted to have the most natural birth possible; My reasoning being women have been having and surviving natural childbirth much longer than pain medication, epidurals and c-sections have been around. My mom had my sisters and me naturally so I also used her as inspiration. With that being said, the first attempt of induction came in the form of acupuncture. With needles sticking from my shins, in and between my toes and on my hand, contractions started almost immediately. They were similar to what I had been feeling at home the weeks prior to my water breaking and what my OB/GYN wouldn’t describe as Braxton Hicks “just yet”…(no, I didn’t like my OB/GYN)…I would later realize were NOTHING like “real” contractions.


14:00
After 6 hours, the acupuncture contractions didn’t progress and I was still only dilated 1 centimeter. Second attempt consisted of 25mg of some German induction pill I never got the name of. The same “Braxton Hicks” contractions came and went and nothing happened. So after a long day of walking back and forth from our room to the delivery room, the chances of a D-Day baby were dwindling.

Lucky for us, we were able to buy out the extra bed in the overnight room and Kyle stayed with me 24/7 throughout the entire process (except when he would leave to let Love out 2x a day). Although there was a window in the room, the view was of siding to the building a foot away (this becomes relevant later). In retrospect, I couldn’t imagine having to share a room with a stranger and the stranger’s closest family and friends during this time so to those reading, if you get the chance to buy out the whole hospital room, DO IT! It’s worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment